This article will give you the basic information on Dentistry & Masters in UK. The article also has the links back to the official sites.

Welcome to all the Docs , we are back with a new article .  In this article we will be discussing about the steps to settle in UK as a dentist after completing Dental Graduation in  country outside United Kingdom of England.

This article is written by Dr.Abhishek Khanna. He is currently based in UK after completing BDS in India . He is currently Pursuing Masters in Public Health Dentistry in UK & Preparing to appear for UK qualifying exams to practice as Dentist . In this article he is explaining all the steps he knows on how to  migrate to UK after BDS and settle as a dentist .

A great deal of thanks to Dr.Abhishek for sharing his experiences .

To settle in UK as a dentist has a good scope as dentistry is among highly paid profession. The only way to practice dentistry for Indian dentist is to pass ORE, a licencing exam conducted by British Dental Council. This exam is held twice a year (i.e. in April and September) in UK. The exam is based on UK dental curriculum and has 2 parts (Part 1- Theory n Part 2- Practical).


  1. Students who have completed BDS in India or other Non-European countries & Planning to do Post Graduation in Dentistry in UK.
  2. Studying Post-Graduation in UK.
  3. Post-Graduate Dental Colleges in UK.
  4. Information for Overseas-Qualified Dentists.
  5. The Overseas Registration Examination (ORE)


  1. Before setting off it is important to consider carefully why you want to come to the UK.
  2. Is it for a short time to study for a postgraduate degree or are you planning to remain in the UK?
  3. Only base these decisions on your own personal circumstances and not on the recommendation of friends and family members.
  4. Remember employment opportunities have varied considerably over the last few years.
  5. Immigration rules have changed and there are also increased numbers of dentists qualifying from UK dental schools in addition to increased numbers of EEA qualified dentists arriving in the UK from the expanded European Union.
  6. All of these factors will influence the availability of vacant posts.

Continue the Article in Next Slide

Check out the Work Opportunities as a Dentist

… See Next Slide … 

Career in secondary (hospital)/primary care

(general dental practice)

  1. What career opportunity are you hoping to find in the UK?
  2. Have you researched the employment situation? Are you building on experience you already possess from your home country?
  3. Can any of your existing experience/training be taken into consideration in the UK ?
  4. Are you on a specialist list in your home country or do you require further training or exams before coming to the UK.
  5. The healthcare system in the UK has changed. It is no longer possible to start an NHS practice in any part of the UK. Local services are managed by LETBE’s.
  6. Opportunities for employment may be greater in parts of the country away from the south east and where there are no dental teaching hospitals.

Financial Considerations on Arrival To UK

  • How long are you going to give yourself in order to find a post or pass exams?
  • You need to be very realistic and work out how long you can afford to be without any income. You are likely to be asked if you have sufficient funds to support yourself when applying for a visa.
  • It may be better to come initially to the UK by yourself rather than arriving with a family which puts increased strain on finances.
  • If you cannot find a job don’t underestimate the effect of becoming de-skilled, and the effects of depression at not being able to work in the profession for which you trained. 
  • Universities in the UK offer postgraduate degree programmes in a variety of dental subjects. The postgraduate courses offered may be at the level of a master’s degree or a doctorate.
  • It is not advisable to apply for a postgraduate degree course in the UK immediately after passing your final BDS/Dental Degree examination. Most universities would prefer that applicants for higher degrees have at least two years clinical experience of working as a dentist before applying for a postgraduate degree course.
  • In the UK a masters programmes can be a taught course or research based. In addition higher degree programmes can be offered in clinical and non-clinical subjects. A Masters course teaches research methods and is usually taken before considering a PhD programme.


In general courses in clinical subjects tend to be more expensive than non clinical subjects. Overseas student charges will be applicable to most candidates and it is important that you also remember to take into consideration the cost of living expenses in the UK. University charges vary between universities so you need to look at each university website to make sure you know what additional expenses are involved (bench fees) and whether the course will provide tuition in the area you wish to study.


  1. Your motivation for starting that particular course, where you are hoping to work on completion of the degree, will the degree awarded be of any help in becoming a specialist in that area either in your country or the UK, will the postgraduate degree from the UK be recognised in your home country.
  2. In the UK the award of a higher degree in a clinical subject (MSc or PhD) will not mean that you are a specialist in that subject. However, a higher dental degree can form part of specialist training.
  3. In the UK trainees in specialist clinical areas are awarded training numbers at the start of training and their training is monitored by the post graduate deanery.
  4. A training number is not awarded or applied retrospectively. It is important that you confirm the status of your proposed degree either in the UK or with your own country before starting the course.
  5. Be cautious about applying for non dental courses, which may be a lot cheaper, seem to have some links with for example: health services, social care, management, public/allied health sectors or esoteric research in applied science areas or business studies but have no relevance to dentistry you wish to practice either in the UK or to your home country.

For example there would be no point in studying for a degree in health service management in the UK if your real aim is to work and train as a specialist periodontist in your home country or the UK. As a general rule look for universities that have a proven track record of postgraduate dental degrees and ask yourself, will this postgraduate degree be of use in my home country. If you have any questions about courses in the UK or the relevance of a degree in the UK, please contact the NACPDE for advice.

… See Next Slide … 

for the official links to visit 


(Indian & Asian Countries)

Overseas-qualified dentists are defined as those who have taken their primary dental qualification outside the European Economic Area (EEA). The EEA covers European Union countries and most countries of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA).

Overseas-qualified dentists who wish to continue their training or to take postgraduate qualifications in the UK must fulfil certain essential requirements. Before setting out to travel to the UK, overseas dentists are strongly advised to find out about the following information.

These Links are official links of UK. Go through each of the links for a better understanding of all the formalities. But finish reading the article completely and then check out all the links.


University dental schools in the UK offer postgraduate programmes in a variety of dental subjects. The postgraduate courses offered may be: Diplomas, Masters or Doctorates. When choosing a course you need to consider the reason for studying in the UK and the usefulness of the course to you when you return to your home country.

Length of courses

The length of courses will vary depending on whether the course is full time or part time, and may take from one to two years, or in a few cases up to five years.


  1. Overseas student rates are likely to be applicable for candidates from outside the EEA. Make sure your funding is sufficient to cover your course fees, living costs and accommodation in the UK.
  2. When you make your application for a visa to study in the UK you will need to show that you have sufficient funds to cover all these expenses. In general, degrees offering an element of clinical training will be more expensive than non clinical degrees.
  3. When you start looking at university websites you will need to be very clear about whether you will be charged “home student fees” or “overseas student fees”. Please remember that living in the UK for three years does not automatically entitle you to pay “home student fees”. In order to be eligible for “home student fees” you must first have settled immigration status in the UK before your course begins.
  4. Settled means that you are a British Citizen or have the right of abode or indefinite leave to remain in the UK. More details can be found on the UKCISA website .
  5. Some postgraduate programmes enable postgraduate students to embark on a programme leading to eligibility of entry into specialist membership examinations. You must always check this aspect with your course organiser before enrolling.
  6. Other factors you need to consider include: is it a research degree or a taught course, are you applying for a dental postgraduate degree as opposed to a more general or non dental postgraduate degree/diploma which may have limited relevance for dentistry.

After being awarded a postgraduate degree in the UK

  1. A postgraduate degree (MSc or PhD) is not an alternative route to becoming a dentist in the UK. If you are required to sit a registration examination you will need to pass either the ORE or the LDS to go on the GDC register.
  2. Always remember that registration as a dentist  in the UK is an entirely separate consideration from your eligibility to enter or remain in the UK.
  3. While you are a postgraduate student you will probably have a Tier 4 visa with your university being the sponsor. On completion of your postgraduate degree under current  regulations you are able to change you visa to a Tier 1 post study work visa. This opportunity will no longer be available when the Tier 1 post study work visa closes in April 2012.


  UK entry requirements
(Information from the Home Office on immigration for dentists)
 Asylum seekers and refugees

 Asylum seekers and refugees should contact the British Dental Association. They will be able to give them a newsletter and put them in touch  with other dentists or groups who are able to offer assistance.
  English language abilities
  Registration with the General Dental Council (GDC)
  The Overseas Registration Examination (ORE) [ ORE EXAMS ALL THE OFFICIALDETAILS ]
  Employment in the UK
 Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
  Personal development plan
  Considerations before coming to the UK


 School/University Telephone
University of Belfast +44 (0)1232 240 503
University of Birmingham +44 (0)121 237 2763
University of Bristol +44 (0)117 928 4524
University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff +44 (0)29 2074 4356
University of Dundee +44 (0)1382 635 979
Edinburgh Dental Institute +44 (0)131 536 4965
University of Glasgow +44 (0)141 211 9704
University of Leeds +44 (0)113 343 6420
University of Liverpool +44 (0)151 794 5928
UCL Eastman Dental Institute +44 (0)20 3456 1092
King’s College London +44 (0)20 7836 5454
University College London +44 (0)20 7679 2000
Royal London and St Barts +44 (0)20 7377 7747
University of Manchester +44 (0)161 275 6603
University of Newcastle +44 (0)191 222 7002
University of Sheffield +44 (0)114 271 7803
University of Warwick +44 (0)24 7657 4633
University of Central Lancashire +44 (0)1772 201 201
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh +44 (0)131 527 1600
The Royal College of Surgeons of England +44 (0)20 7405 3474
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow +44 (0)141 221 6072
The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland +(353) 1 402 2100


  • For Indian and Asian students who have finished BDS / Dental Graduation and work in UK as a dentist or Pursue Post Graduate Courses they need to fulfill the formalities laid down by UK government. Formalities include the Immigration Rules and also ORE  EXAM.

  • After fulfilling all the immigration points and clearing the ORE Exam, dental graduates are eligible to work or pursue higher studies.

  • Finally you need to be aware that even if you are awarded a postgraduate degree from a UK university, this in itself will not allow you to practice dentistry in the UK (see registration with the GDC).

N.B : To get the most accurate information always visit and read in detail the official site links given in the article. This article is just to give you the basic starting information so that you can proceed from here. The only place where you can get the most updated information about Dental Career Related Information about UK is the UK Embassy in your country. Visit and get all the information on finances and legal issues.

Never trust or pay any middle man who claims to help you migrate and settle easily.

See Next Slide for the complete List of More Articles

Explaining the Route to Dentistry in UK

… Go Next …

List of Articles with Information on Route to Dentistry in United Kingdom – England


5 STEPS : SETTLE IN UK AS DENTIST AND ORE EXAM DETAILSWelcome to all the Docs , your friendly Dr.Deb is back with a new article . In this article we will be discussing about the steps to settle in UK as a dentist after completing BDS in India . This article is written by Dr.Abhishek Khanna .


If you do not hold full registration with the GDC you may eventually be able to work as a dentist if you pass the ORE and have the correct visa to remain and work in the UK. This ORE examination is held by the GDC and replaced the International Qualifying Examination (IQE).


If you do not hold full registration with the GDC you may eventually be able to work as a dentist if you pass the ORE and have the correct visa to remain and work in the UK. This ORE examination is held by the GDC and replaced the International Qualifying Examination (IQE).


Welcome to all the Docs , your friendly Dr.Deb is back with a new article . In this article we will be discussing about the steps to settle in UK as a dentist after completing Dental Graduation in country outside United Kingdom of England. This article is written by Dr.Abhishek Khanna .


Read the 2 most top articles before you read this article (The articles will open in a new tab so that you can read and compare all the articles in real time) This article is for all the students who have got their dental graduation degrees in their country and now want to settle & practice in UK as a dentist .

Disclaimer : The information provided are subjective to change and are just meant to provide you an initial entry level information.The rules and regulation keep changing time to time. 

Before deciding on anything always refer & verify with the UK embassy in your country. That is the only place where you can get the most latest & up to date information or various points to migrate to UK and work as dentist.

Remember – There is no short cut method to go to UK. You must satisfy all criteria laid down by UK Govt. Agencies. So, always take the verified and correct route. Avoid any 3rd party promising you to get the required approvals by unverified short cuts. 

The Official link to General Dental Council of UK

Overseas registration exam

Overseas registration exam What is the ORE? The ORE is an exam that overseas qualified dentists have to pass in order to register with the GDC. Registration allows dentists to practice dentistry unsupervised in the UK.